Me and my paint mare, Piper

Friday, July 9, 2010

Trying new things

It's been some time since I've updated.

One thing I've found that really has helped me with my confidence is finding the right saddle to ride in. I had been riding my paint mare in a child sized western saddle, and every time she did something silly I'd fall off. Last time I hurt my knee pretty badly. The seat size was fine for the saddle, but the stirrup length was just too short. So I did some research and bought an Abetta endurance saddle with a memory foam seat (Abetta Trinity). It's amazing how much that's helped! Not only do I feel secure, but it's super cushioned. I haven't come off once since I bought it. I left it at the trainer's stable for a week and it's too bad I'm not an Abetta rep, because I sold three of them. Just to brag a little, I didn't even feel my hear rate raise when I was trotting my horse around the arena and he tripped and fell to his knees. It just felt like I was going down an incline.

I really want to ride English, but right now I just need help getting my confidence back. My next transition will probably be to more of an English style endurance saddle. And as much as I love my limited edition Crosby saddle, I think I'm done using it. It's just too slick for the type of horses I ride.

So now I'm enjoying riding a lot more (doing more cantering and jumping), and have a lot more stability. I feel like I can't fall out of my saddle, which has done wonders for my ability. I didn't realize just how important this was, but it makes sense...I have a fear of falling off, and now I have something that helps me keep from falling off. Of course, that comes with lessons 2-3 days/week, too.

Well, off for the weekend. Keep riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment